Interviews – What are the basic points to pay attention to?
Everyone aspires for a job that is truly rewarding. Employers are looking for people who have got that “ooomph” in them before hiring. A great performance in an interview is the stepping stone for success. What are the key points that one should look into for succeeding in interviews?
Remember the three Ps always: Prepare, Practice and Perform.
The following steps will ensure a good success at the interviews.
1. Make an impression: Greet the interviewer, make eye contact, give a firm handshake. Remember you have to sell yourself before you can sell anything! The first 30 seconds with the interviewer will decide your outcome.
2. Preparation: Read about the company, their goals and milestones, go through your CV, expect to answer questions surrounding salary expectations.
3. Punctuality: Arrive at least 10-15 minutes ahead of time.
4. Dress smartly.
5. Take time to organize your thoughts and then answer. Do not say something that you will regret later. A minute’s silence is better than a quick reply.
6. Body Language: Remember it’s not what you say but how you say it! Do not fold your arms and lean back. Maintain eye contact with the interviewer, do not stare at the floor or out of the window.
7. Ask questions: Be prepared with 5-6 questions about the organization, the employees, the job, any training, the benefits, the chances to climb up the heirarchy and leave the impression that you are taking the job seriously.
8. Expect to be asked unexpected questions and be relaxed but in control. Impress the interviewer with your knowledge, abilities, skills and expertise. Convince them as to why they should hire you for the particular job.
9. Do not talk ill about your present boss or colleagues in an interview. It is always a bad habit.
10. Thank them at the end for the opportunity of being interviewed, ask them if any further action is needed from your side, ask them politely when to expect to hear from them and upon return send them a thank you note or mail.